I mentioned briefly in my weekly updates while I was pregnant that at my 20 week anatomy scan with Alex they found that he had fluid on his kidneys. They talked a little bit about how its very common to find especially in male babies, that it usually will resolve itself before birth. They then scheduled me for a second prenatal ultrasound at 32 weeks.
At my 32 week ultrasound they found that the kidneys still had fluid on them. They still said it can resolve itself before birth so they will ultrasound him after he's born to see if the fluid is still there or not.
So at a week old we had Alex's kidneys ultrasounded.
Then I had to wait untill Monday to hear from his doctor that he still does have fluid on his kidneys. Still no real answer as to what is causing it. They are going to send us to UofM to the nephrologist to have them ultrasound his kidneys and decide where to go from there. There is still a chance that the fluid on his kidneys can still clear up on its own, if it doesn't it sounds like anything that could be causing the fluid to build up is fixable with surgery. It's either a problem with the kidneys emptying or a problem with backflow from the bladder to the kidneys. Even looking online I don't find any horror stories to make me worry too much about it. He's totally fine and if you didn't know from the ultrasounds, you'd never know that there was anything going on. So now we wait until they contact us to schedule the UofM appointment. In the grand scheme of things it could be worse, I'd just like to know if we have to do anything or if its just more waiting and rechecking.

At my 32 week ultrasound they found that the kidneys still had fluid on them. They still said it can resolve itself before birth so they will ultrasound him after he's born to see if the fluid is still there or not.
So at a week old we had Alex's kidneys ultrasounded.
Then I had to wait untill Monday to hear from his doctor that he still does have fluid on his kidneys. Still no real answer as to what is causing it. They are going to send us to UofM to the nephrologist to have them ultrasound his kidneys and decide where to go from there. There is still a chance that the fluid on his kidneys can still clear up on its own, if it doesn't it sounds like anything that could be causing the fluid to build up is fixable with surgery. It's either a problem with the kidneys emptying or a problem with backflow from the bladder to the kidneys. Even looking online I don't find any horror stories to make me worry too much about it. He's totally fine and if you didn't know from the ultrasounds, you'd never know that there was anything going on. So now we wait until they contact us to schedule the UofM appointment. In the grand scheme of things it could be worse, I'd just like to know if we have to do anything or if its just more waiting and rechecking.
