Monday, March 21, 2011

The Never Ending Bedroom Remodel...Demolition Time!

March 20th, 2010 marked demo day one.  
We had heard that you could just knock off the plaster and leave up the lathe, somehow fish through insulation behind the lathe and just drywall over the lathe....about a day day into it we discovered the lathe was far from level enough to hang drywall over the top of and there was no way to get insulation behind it so we ended up deciding that we would demo that too.  
after carefully removing all the trim work from the room we began the demo process....Of course in proper construction attire, facemask...check... sandals, err...check...

removing the plaster was a lot of work but once we figured out to beat it with a hammer first then use the pry bar behind it to knock off large chunks it went much faster.  


I think I quit helping around this point with demo on the plaster as the ceiling was creating far too much dust for me.  

we got the plaster out of the house by lowering the garbage can out the window to pregnant me standing in a trailer with a tarp on it, I'd dump it and back up Tony would drag the can to fill it again.  

What a mess!


As dirty, dusty, messy and sweaty as demo is, its also fun, the best way to relieve frustration is to whack at a wall with a hammer or what ever tool you need to use.  (It came at a perfect time in pregnancy where I just started to get in the mood where I didn't want to deal with people's crap, which makes for great force behind your hits)  In just one day we managed to knock down the plaster from all but the top 1/8 of the walls and the ceiling.  Tony did that part by himself  over the next week because of the incredible amount of dust.  Who knows how horrible that was to breathe in while I was pregnant, even with a mask it clung to your clothing and hair like you wouldn't believe.  

0 Reader Coments:

Post a Comment

show some love?