Saturday, August 13, 2011

Northern Michigan Vacation Day 3

We woke up early Thursday morning so that I could drive Tony to Au Train so that he could join our friend and his family to go golfing at Northern Michigan University's golf course near Marquette.  While he did his thing Addison and I headed back to the hotel  to make reservations on the Pictured Rocks Cruise, On the way back we (I) stopped and checked out the Alger Falls which are located right on the side of the main road which was pretty neat.





We got signed up for the 10:00 boat and headed for Munising.  The cruise was about 3 hours long and they pretty much took the boat right along the shoreline so that you could appreciate the Pictured Rocks Shoreline from the water rather than trying to see it from above.  It was well worth the 35 dollars to be able to see.  It was absolutely beautiful & would have been a ton easier to capture on camera had I not had to wrestle with Addison the baby crocodile roller who was in need of a nap and not having sitting still.  Lucky me I couldn't even take the umbrella stroller as there was no room on the boat.  So while miss fussy had a little fit I walked down from the upper deck and hung out at the back of the boat where I could stand, hold her and bounce while trying to take pictures with the other hand. Oy!  Good thing, she finally fell asleep and I was able to one handedly take some pictures.








































 As soon as the boat turned around to go back to the harbor I decided I would go back to my seat where I had left all my stuff, and the second I put my butt in the seat we passed another boat and they blew their horn, and miss cranky pants woke up!  ugh.  Lucky for us we sat next to a bunch of grandparents who were happy to help entertain her once she calmed herself down for the ride back.  She of course was happy to show off for them!

After the cruise ended we headed back to the hotel for a quick change of clothes and back toward Au Train to meet up with Tony & our friends at Lake Superior for some swimming where the canal from Au Train Lake meets up with Superior.  The temperature difference between the canal and Lake Superior was at least 10 degrees!  But I of course had to swim in both!  Superior, like Au Train Lake was crystal clear, and unlike most lakes didn't cloud up as you walked out deeper and deeper, it seemed like you could walk forever and it wasn't getting too deep.  Absolutely beautiful.  We watched kids & adults jump off the overpass into the canal and I wondered how someone hadn't killed themselves doing that!  (That's the overly cautious in me!)













After the lake we headed back to the hotel to change clothes and relax for a bit.  We were going to go meet back up with our friends for dinner on the lake with them and their family but decided we were all to cranky and needed time outs.  :)  So we stayed at the motel for the night and ordered some delivery.




The next morning we got up relatively early, packed it up and headed for home. (Stopping first in Christmas, MI to get a few pictures of the Front and Rear Range Lights)


 All in all it was a great and much needed vacation, I just love this state for all that it has to offer, there are so many neat and interesting places to visit and spend time at.  I can't wait for the next trip to the U.P.

Unfortunately when we got home on Friday my husband was laid off from his job due to their lack of jobs lately.  Which sucks, but luckly he will get unemployment until he finds something and the difference won't be that great once you factor in not paying for daycare and I can pick up a weekend shift or two every weekend at work if I want to.  Crappy way to end a vacation though!!

0 Reader Coments:

Post a Comment

show some love?