FYI do not read if you don't care to hear about breastfeeding, you have been warned. So I mentioned before that my major goal for myself when I had Addison was to breastfeed for the first year, no supplementing, no nothing. Happily we made it with a little worry in the end about supply but it was relatively easy to say the least (pumping not included, as that, no lies, sucked.)
So when we went on vacation after her birthday I decided it was time to wean her, we made it to the birthday and trying to get her to settle down to feed her was like wrestling an alligator. Latch on, latch off, wiggle, squirm, latch on, hit me, latch off, roll, try to stand up, latch, not latch, latch, look at dad, not latched, you get the idea, I was sick of it and trying to get her to eat was stressing me out even in a quiet dark room she just was more into everything but eating. So for vacation we gave bottles for all but one feeding a day and I didn't pump or anything while she wasn't eating. Lucky for me I haven't had engorgement issues in a long time so going 24 hours was no biggy for me (we were at about 3 nursing's/pump sessions a day.)
Once we got home we went out for a night and let my mom take her over night and I decided that was going to be it, no more breast feeding since mom would have her for her once a day feeding time. I tried to read up on weaning/stopping etc. But there is far less information out there about it than there is about the actual breast feeding. So basically all I learned was that I shouldn't bind them but wear a supportive bra, Sudafed can help decrease production and lots of conflicting ideas of whether you should or shouldn't pump to relieve engorgement.
I don't care to take medicine that I don't need to take so Sudafed was out for me, and after the first day the "supportive" sports bra was a must. I made it to 48ish hours before I was so engorged that it was slightly uncomfortable but nothing like I expected. Thursday I wore a non-sports bra style bra and thought I felt better. Wrong, Thursday night I was pretty sore but I chocked it up to my physical job and not having a sports bra. So I made sure to sleep in one and wear one to work on Friday. All the while not wanting to pump to relieve myself in fear of making the whole process take even longer. Friday night and today were major ouch. Major. I also opened my fat mouth at work and said so far they were just hard and engorged not too bad in the pain department. Nice Job Amber. Friday night had pain wrote all over it and this morning at work the same. So finally this afternoon I gave into the pump and am feeling much better now. Thankfully I still had some nursing pads stashed cause I haven't needed those suckers in a long time!
Obviously I have no experience with the whole "drying up" process. Does one usually go a week before the engorgement is too much to handle? How long does this whole shindig take? What did you do to help relieve yourself?
Addison on the other hand took it like a champ, I don't even think that she noticed she's no longer breastfed.

So when we went on vacation after her birthday I decided it was time to wean her, we made it to the birthday and trying to get her to settle down to feed her was like wrestling an alligator. Latch on, latch off, wiggle, squirm, latch on, hit me, latch off, roll, try to stand up, latch, not latch, latch, look at dad, not latched, you get the idea, I was sick of it and trying to get her to eat was stressing me out even in a quiet dark room she just was more into everything but eating. So for vacation we gave bottles for all but one feeding a day and I didn't pump or anything while she wasn't eating. Lucky for me I haven't had engorgement issues in a long time so going 24 hours was no biggy for me (we were at about 3 nursing's/pump sessions a day.)
Once we got home we went out for a night and let my mom take her over night and I decided that was going to be it, no more breast feeding since mom would have her for her once a day feeding time. I tried to read up on weaning/stopping etc. But there is far less information out there about it than there is about the actual breast feeding. So basically all I learned was that I shouldn't bind them but wear a supportive bra, Sudafed can help decrease production and lots of conflicting ideas of whether you should or shouldn't pump to relieve engorgement.
I don't care to take medicine that I don't need to take so Sudafed was out for me, and after the first day the "supportive" sports bra was a must. I made it to 48ish hours before I was so engorged that it was slightly uncomfortable but nothing like I expected. Thursday I wore a non-sports bra style bra and thought I felt better. Wrong, Thursday night I was pretty sore but I chocked it up to my physical job and not having a sports bra. So I made sure to sleep in one and wear one to work on Friday. All the while not wanting to pump to relieve myself in fear of making the whole process take even longer. Friday night and today were major ouch. Major. I also opened my fat mouth at work and said so far they were just hard and engorged not too bad in the pain department. Nice Job Amber. Friday night had pain wrote all over it and this morning at work the same. So finally this afternoon I gave into the pump and am feeling much better now. Thankfully I still had some nursing pads stashed cause I haven't needed those suckers in a long time!
Obviously I have no experience with the whole "drying up" process. Does one usually go a week before the engorgement is too much to handle? How long does this whole shindig take? What did you do to help relieve yourself?
Addison on the other hand took it like a champ, I don't even think that she noticed she's no longer breastfed.

0 Reader Coments:
Post a Comment
show some love?