Saturday, February 5, 2011

How NOT to frost a window

This was supposed to be one of those look what I finally broke down and did posts, but its going to be one of those this is how you should NOT do this posts.

So a few weekends ago I filtered through some of my old craft stuff and found my bottle of glass etching cream left over from our wedding party glasses that I did 4+ years ago.  I remembered that I wanted to frost the glass in the bathroom window, the one that is creepily located IN the shower.  Right at head height, in the shower.

While its high enough off the ground from the outside of the house that you would have to be the Jolly Green Giant to be able to see into it, or come with a 6 foot ladder.  It always creeps people out when they have to shower here.
I figure its a small window and I have plenty of etching cream.  I grab a paint brush and glop the stuff all over the window.  Some spots are thin but I figure its all covered, it will do.

Wait my 5 minutes that the bottle says to before rinsing it off.  Oh Boy, this is what I had:

OOOPS, should have not misjudged the amount that I would be needing.  It looked pretty bad with all the spaces you could see through. So a trip to Michaels was in order to get more etching cream.  I finally did that this week and decided to finish up the project.  (Good thing nobody came over this past week to see my disaster)  So here's the finished deal, now people can stop feeling like they are being peeped in on while they shower!  
convenient that I have a silo outside my house to use to show you that you cannot see through the lower glass any longer huh?








Plenty of sun light can still come in the bathroom, and now I really see that the paint around the window needs a serious refreshing..yuck.



3 comments:

  1. damn why did you etch that, now I can't see out the window while I am showering! -Seth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't come visit in January so you can open it if you wanna look out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe, that was crazy! I liked this post- and the results look amazing! I etched a mirror in art class once, I forgot about it until now... maybe I'll try etching something glass in the near future. :)

    ReplyDelete

show some love?