While our weather here has been up and down a lot lately, the rain is at least helping the asparagus grow! I'm lucky enough to live out in the country where it grows wild on the side of the road. I have easily picked more than a grocery store bag full so far this year. As usual it is delicious! I'm the only one who eats it (well Addison tried some too) So I usually just blanch it and eat it with some salt. I got bored with that so I roasted some in the oven last week with olive oil and garlic and that was pretty wonderful.
Today I decided to try something different:
Cream Of Asparagus Soup
It was pretty easy to make, so long as you have a food processor, and it was delicious! And Yum!
Ingredients
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Directions
- In a large saucepan, combine asparagus, chopped onion, and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer uncovered until asparagus is tender, about 12 minutes. Process the mixture in a blender to puree the vegetables. Set aside.
- In the same saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Whisk in the remaining chicken broth, and increase the heat to medium. Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture boils. Stir in the asparagus puree and the milk.
- Put the sour cream in a small bowl, and stir in a ladleful of the hot soup. Add the sour cream mixture and the lemon juice to the soup. Stir while heating the soup to serving temperature, but don't allow it to boil. Serve immediately.
And Yum! I added some mozzarella cheese, some extra seasoning, garlic and a few croutons to mine, and I would up the amount of asparagus unless you are into thin constancy soup. Otherwise it was quick easy and great!

Yummo!:)
ReplyDelete